IMPLEMENTED PROJECTS > Support to Rural Credit Improvement
- Country – Kazakhstan
- Donor – Tacis
- Duration – 36 months
- Status – completed
Overall aim of the project was to provide assistance and training to the Ministry of Agriculture, banking sector, farmers and farmers' associations on rural credit.
Project objectives were to improve the knowledge and understanding of commercial banks and financial institutions staff of the workings and specific requirements of agriculture, improve the knowledge and understanding of farmers, staff of farmers' associations and managers of rural enterprises of the specific requirements of banks and financial institutions in the application for credit investment and support.
Results were the establishment of the physical and institutional infrastructure within the Ministry and the banking sector necessary to improve the service to credit applicants, improvement of the services offered by the banks, including the establishment / improvement of regional training and advice centres.
Specific activities implemented under the project included:
- policy advice to improve the rural financing systems;
- training of bank staff in: assessment of collateral for loan applications, diversification of credit portfolio;
- assessment of large investment projects;
- monitoring of loan repayment;
- loan appraisal procedure for small loans (micro financing);
- training of agricultural consultants in business planning of agricultural enterprises and elaboration of bankable documents for credit appraisal;
- advising rural enterprises in investment opportunities.