IMPLEMENTED PROJECTS > Privatisation of the Food Wholesale and Retail Distribution System in Yaroslavl
- Country – Russian Feberation
- Donor – Tacis
- Duration – 15 months
- Status – completed
The project was carried out under the auspices of the TACIS programme of the EU. Its main objective was to promote the privatisation of the food distribution sector, and to provide immediate and medium-term practical assistance in the establishment of a new, market-oriented food wholesale and retail system in the region of Yaroslavl, with the aim to improve the management capabilities and the technical facilities in the corresponding sectors.
A detailed study about the situation on the producers’ side, the wholesale and retail level, the consumers’ demand and the key problems in the corresponding areas was carried out. Based on the findings short, medium and long term strategies to overcome the bottlenecks in technical, financial and operational management techniques were elaborated and implemented through participatory training courses and the setting up of "demonstration units".
The project was mainly aiming to find technically viable and financially feasible ways to restructure the food distribution sector. The methodology applied was highly participatory (workshops and training courses) and oriented towards the needs of the different stakeholders. Based on the experience gained in the operation of the "demonstration units", recommendations for public administration and private entrepreneurs were formulated to facilitate the privatisation of the food distribution sector.
- Analysis of the economic, political and physical situation of the local retail and wholesale system;
- Policy advice to administration and decision makers on the new market structure, establishment of wholesale markets and other core issue;
- Recommendations on the accounting systems and taxation;
- Establishment of four retail shops (as demonstration units) according to western standards;
- Seminars and training for the staff of shops, the administrative staff and to key personnel.